Friday, December 11, 2020

Jumping into the Mechanical Keyboard Hobby








by Tony Thomas

I found out that I really love mechanical keyboards. 

However, after analyzing the mechanical keyboard hobby for a while, I am not sure that I am ready to jump off at the deep end.  If you don't know, mechanical keyboards can be a tremendously expensive hobby--a black hole where your Benjamins go.

While I now have a total of 9 (count 'em) mechanical keyboards, I don't consider myself a real enthusiast.  A few of those keyboards are entry level boards that I don't even use anymore. The other ones helped me find what I like in terms of form factor, switches, keycaps, ergonomics, etc. 

At this point, really don't feel the need to acquire any more keyboards just for the sake of having more. I have spent my time lately buying replacement keycaps and experimenting with a few different switch options. I may experiment with switches in the future. 

While a new build certainly provides an adrenaline rush, I am not into soldering, lubing switches, changing out stabilizers, or other fine details.  

Maybe my attitude will change if I give it time, but right now I'm pretty happy with what I have.