Thursday, April 23, 2015

Why I Love Chromebooks!

I am writing this article in Evernote on my Chromebook.  I love Chromebooks!  Why?

1. They Are Fast: I can open up my Chromebook and begin working in seconds.  Since it is essentially a web browser-based operating system, there is very little overhead and the system runs extremely fast.  Also, I can take any Chromebook, wipe it and reload it with all of my apps and bookmarks in about 5 minutes.

2. They Are Comparatively Cheap:  I paid around $250 for my original Samsung 11.6" ARM Chromebook and a bit over $200 for the Asus 13.3" Intel Chromebook I am using now.  That is a fraction of the price of a decent notebook with comparable specs.

3. Google Docs is Great:  It comes with a great free suite of applications that includes a word processor, spreadsheet, presentation program, drawing program and more.  It also supports a robust scripting language (Apps Script) for customization.

4. They Come with 100 GB of Free Storage for 2 Years:  You get 15 GB of free Google Drive storage with a Google account.  If you buy a Chromebook, they currently add 100 GB of free storage for 2 years.  That is a $1.99/mo. value.

5. A Growing Selection of Mostly Free Apps:  The Chrome Web store has tons of great apps and they are there for the taking.  

6. You Don't Have to Worry About Viruses and Malware:  I have spent many hours cleaning my Windows computers of malware and PUPs.  No worries on the Chromebook.  

7. Automatic Free Updates:  Major updates are released every 6 weeks and my Chromebook updates automatically in the background.  All I have to do is turn it off and back on and: voila!

8. I Can Also Run Linux: I also run Ubuntu on my Chromebook simultaneously with Chrome OS using Crouton. That also allows me to use my Chromebook sans the Internet and to run applications not available on Chrome OS.  Check out: https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton

9. A Lot of Apps Can Be Used Offline: While you generally need to be connected to the Internet to use a Chromebook, a growing number Chrome apps can be run offline.  Some Android apps are also being ported to Chrome.

10. Your Work is in the Cloud:  Your work is stored in the cloud automatically.  No more worrying about crashing your hard drive and losing all of your work.  You also have the ability to download your work from Google Drive and store it locally.  

If you are looking for a inexpensive and easy-to-use notebook, I recommend a Chromebook!