Tuesday, February 10, 2015

My Raspberry Pi Micro Server

by Tony Thomas

The Raspberry Pi 2 Model B was introduced the other day.  It is reportedly 6 times faster than its predecessor thanks to a quad-core processor.  I plan on getting one soon.


However, for the past two years, I have been running a Raspberry Pi model B micro server.  It is a headless Pi connected directly to my router and accessible via VNC, SSH and SFTP.  That means I can control it easily and get to it from my computers and my iPod Touch and Android devices.  And, since it doesn't use very much juice, I keep it running 24/7/365.

I also run a light web server on it (lighttpd) so that I can host a little intranet for testing purposes.  In addition, I can add a USB drive for extra storage.  It is a really cool way to store work files and to keep my Linux chops fresh.


More information on Raspberry Pi:


RaspberryPi.org


Newark Electronics Raspberry Pi Page




Desktop via VNC







SSH Display
SFTP